- Gather all the packing materials you need before you start packing (boxes, tape, bubble wrap, mattress bags, furniture covers, etc.) USA Mini Storage has all you need and you can return what you don’t use.
- Use pallets, 2×4’s or anything that will keep your belongs off the floor of the unit.
- Clean and dry appliances before storing and wedge doors open to prevent mildew.
- Be sure to check your unit once a month.
- Purchase the insurance. If items are worth storing they are worth insuring. For prices check here: Storage Insurance
- Consider waxing wood furniture because some woods can be sensitive to moisture. If you stack furniture, place pads, blankets or towels between them to prevent scratching. Be sure to vacuum upholstery before you cover the furniture.
- Stand mattresses on long end as well as sofas with pallets or cardboard under them. It’s a good idea to wrap mattresses in a mattress bags. Stand mattresses on something to allow airflow and to prevent moisture from getting to them. Walls may develop condensation; therefore it is not advised to lean items against the walls.
- Wipe all metal surfaces with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil to retard rust.
- Be generous with packing tape, using enough on your boxes to create an airtight seal. Rubbermaid containers are great to store your items.
- Store items you’ll need most often at the front of the unit. Store valuables in rear of unit.
- Use trash cans for shovels, hoes and rakes.
- Pack books in small boxes. Big boxes of books can weigh too much. Put moving boxes on pallets or something to keep off floor.
- Take extra care with items that can break. Use paper or foam. Consider a dish kit or a glass kit with dividers.
- Place photos between cardboard. Old photographs tend to curl over time. To keep them flat, place them between two pieces of cardboard and tape them together.
- Store hazardous chemicals or flammable products. Fireworks, paint cans, weapons or any illegal paraphernalia of any kind are strictly prohibited.
- Store any precious valuables, artwork or family valuables.
- Use storage as housing.
- Give the key or access code to others.